Yield: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups sliced red or Spanish onions
- 1/4 cup healing wine
- 2 tbsp candied ginger root or burdock root, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 12 oz fresh whole wheat pasta
- In a large pan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and ginger. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook onions or 10 to 15 minutes or until caramelized. Remove from heat, stir in pesto. Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring water to a boil. Stir in pasta; cook for 3 to 5 minutes if fresh, 8 to 10 minutes if dried, or until tender but firm. Drain. Toss with onion mixture and serve.
For a zippy change, try a hot salsa instead of the pesto.
Substitute: Red wine vinegar for healing wine; hot tomato salsa for pesto; Any pesto for basil pesto.
Recipe Source: Healing Herbs Cookbook by Pat Crocker