Yield: 6 burgers
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil-packed
- 1 can (19 oz [540ml]) chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup grated onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup spelt flakes
- 1/4 cup unbalanced almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp basil leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375°F or grill to high
- Parchment-lined baking sheet or greased grill.
- In a food processor or blender, puree oil, chickpeas, onion, garlic and carrots until well combined.
- Add spelt flakes, almonds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, parsley, basil, thyme and egg. Process until finely chopped and holding together. Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
- Form mixture into 6 patties. Arrange patties on prepared baking sheet or grill. Bake in preheated oven or grill for 3 minutes per side, being careful to turn burgers gently.
Whether grilled on the barbecue or baked in the oven, these burgers are great with all the trimmings.
Substitute: Rolled oats for spelt flakes.
Recipe Source: Healing Herbs Cookbook by Pat Crocker