A great do-ahead recipe as the salad tastes better the next day after the flavors blend.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (cut in very thin strips)
- 4 ounces uncooked whole wheat pasta such as rotini, bow ties, shells, or penne
- 2 cups fresh vegetables; green peppers, summer squash, cucumbers, broccoli florets (chopped)
- 3 medium tomatoes (cut in thin wedges)
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (loosely packed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl whisk together; red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, and Dijon mustard.
- Whisk in olive oil gradually. Stir in basil and set aside.
- Cook pasta. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place in large bowl and toss with 1/3 of the dressing.
- Layer ingredients on top of the pasta in the following order: vegetables, tomatoes, and olives. Top with remaining dressing.
- Sprinkle fresh basil leaves and parsley on top. Cover and chill 4-24 hours.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top and toss lightly before serving.
Variation: Use a small pasta or orzo. Omit the cheese and olives. Add 2 cups chickpeas along with the herbs.
Recipe Source: Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-West