Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free
Author: Angela Liddon
Shredded Lacinato kale is tossed in a tangy balsamic, apple cider, maple, and garlic dressing and then topped with sliced pear, pomegranate arils, pepita, hemp, and black sesame seeds, and large flaked coconut. Whenever the dull winter weather has you feeling blah, whip up this vibrant dose of nutrients and you’ll be feeling better in no time.
Yield: 3-4 small bowls
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 8-10 cups de-stemmed and shredded Lacinato (dino) kale (2 bunches)
- 1 pear, thinly sliced and chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup pepita seeds
- 3-4 tbsp large flake coconut
- 1-2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1-2 teaspoons black sesame seeds (optional)
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Adjust to taste if desired.
- Remove all of the stems from the kale leaves and compost the stems (or if you are hard core you can save them for smoothies). Finely chop the kale leaves into tiny “shredded” pieces. The smaller the more tender the leaves will feel. Wash and spin dry. Place kale into a large salad bowl. You should have about 8-10 cups of kale for this salad.
- Toss the kale in all of the dressing until everything is coated nicely. The kale will reduce in volume substantially.
- Add the toppings (as much as you want – I recommend lots!), sprinkle with cinnamon, and serve immediately. Or let the dressing marinate the kale for a half hour or so. This salad is best served fresh, but it will keep chilled in the fridge for a day. if you don’t think you will eat that quickly, I recommend making a half batch at a time or simply store the kale and dressing separately until ready to mix and consume.
Recipe Source: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/12/30/superfood-crunch-salad-with-homemade-balsamic-apple-vinaigrette/