Naturopathic Medicine is a viable form of primary health care that utilizes naturally based therapies. The ultimate goal of treatment is to remove the cause of disease. This is accomplished by prescribing therapies that stimulate the bodies own physiological processes to function optimally. The body is then able to heal itself and you are able to avoid medications.
Generally, medical doctors treat disease. They are well educated in symptoms and the medications used to treat symptoms. Naturopathic physicians at PCNM are educated in healthcare. You are not your disease, you are a person. Conventional medicine is incredibly important in our health care system, however, we believe that not every person needs to be treated with invasive techniques and medications. Many people could benefit from the use of less invasive therapies and preventative medicine, thus reducing the burden on our current healthcare system. Your healthcare team has room for both types of doctors who look at health and disease from different angles.
Our treatment philosophies:
1. Remove obstacles to your health. When you develop an illness, whether it be acute or chronic, the natural state of your body is disturbed. The first step in returning your body to health is not medication, it is identifying and removing the disturbances to your health. Typically, medications do not fix the obstacles, they hide them. Examples of common obstacles are:
- poor diet
- a specific nutrient deficiency
- lack of physical activity
- suppressed immune system
- lack of sleep
- environmental toxins
- among others
2. Stimulate your body’s innate self-healing ability. The human body is powerful and miraculous, and is actually able to heal itself. Look what happens when you get a cut, your body utilizes it’s innate physiological processes to close the wound. This can be accomplished by providing the body with nutrients required in these processes.
3. Strengthen weakened systems. Some systems require more than stimulation to heal. If the organ or system is weakened or damaged it will require additional help. It then becomes my role to strengthen, restore and regenerate the damaged system. Naturopathic remedies are fantastic at accomplishing this by:
- strengthening the immune system
- decreasing toxicity
- normalizing the inflammatory function
- optimizing metabolic function
- balancing hormones
- enhancing tissue regeneration
4. Use medications and surgery to stop progressive disease when the above steps are not sufficient. When life, limb or organ function is at risk and must be preserved, then conventional medications, physicians, specialists, and surgeons can work their magic. In my professional opinion, drugs suppress symptoms, they do not remove the fundamental cause of disease, nor do they improve the integrity of your body which is why they should be a last resort, not a first resort. Even in cases where drugs and surgery must be used, naturopathic medicine can work in combination with conventional medicine to treat side effects and improve effectiveness of treatment!
Anything! There is no limit to the conditions that can be treated with naturopathic medicine.
- Digestive Health
- Mental Health
- Women’s Health
- Endocrine Health
- Men’s Health
- Heart Health
- Pediatric Health
- Sports medicine and injuries
- Skin Health
- General health and diet optimization
- the list goes on
Natural therapies we frequently use:
Nutritional Medicine –
The food you consume can either be an incredibly powerful form of medicine or an equally powerful cause of disease. In today’s world we are bombarded with different fad diets: gluten free, raw, no-carb, no-fat, hormone diets, blood-type diets, among others. It can be incredibly overwhelming. Talking to someone who is educated in nutritional medicine can make changing your diet much less stressful.
Botanical Medicine –
Using herbs, wether it be in a gentle tea or a more powerful extraction, is my favourite way to heal the body. Many drugs on the market today are actually made from plants. By using the whole plant instead of one constituent you are also getting important enzymes and nutrients that improve the medicinal action of the plant and reduce side effects.
Traditional Chinese Medicine has been using acupuncture for thousands of years to treat any kind of ailment. Specific points on the body are stimulated with tiny acupuncture needles to strengthen and stimulate the flow of your body’s energy and direct it to appropriate organs. Medicinal acupuncture is a non-traditional form of acupuncture used to treat local injuries, reduce inflammation and improve tissue healing.
The idea behind homeopathy is similar to the use of vaccines; vaccines made of a virus stimulate the bodies immune system to prevent them from developing an infection. Homeopathy works in much the same way. Minuscule amounts of substances are used to treat illness and address both physical and emotional symptoms. A common example is the onion. When you cut a raw onion, often you experience watery eyes and a runny nose. Homeopathic onion stimulates the bodies own healing mechanisms to combat these symptoms.
We also offer specialty services in areas I have had extensive training in. You can read more about them here: