Vegetarian and gluten free recipe Author: Julie Van Rosendaal
Makes about 4 servings
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ½ cup (125ml) red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) curry powder, or more to taste
- 4 cups (1L) chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup (125mL) plain yogurt or whipping cream (35% MF)
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in the oil, until the onion is soften.
- Stir in the carrots, sweet potatoes, lentil and curry powder.
- Add the stock and 1 cup (250mL) water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Pureé until smooth. Add yogurt. Reheat over medium heat (without boiling), and add salt to taste.
- Ladle up a bubbly bowl of sweet lentil soup.
Recipe Source: The Soup Sisters Cookbook