Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes 4 Servings
Sure, there’s comfort food in this wheat-free lifestyle! Here’s a wheat-free, dairy-free version of Cream of Broccoli Soup. The use of coconut milk and coconut flour, rather than the usual wheat flour, cornstarch, or evaporated milk, slashes carbohydrate and sugar content but makes no sacrifice to the taste.
- 1 pound broccoli
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1 leek, sliced (white part only)
- 1 rib celery, sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups carton-variety coconut milk, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Cut the broccoli into florets and set aside. Trim and discard the tough, fibrous skin from the stems. Coarsely chop the stems and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the butter or oil. Cook the leek and celery, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until the leek is soft. Add the broccoli stems and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the broccoli florets and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Return to the saucepan and increase the heat to medium.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of the coconut milk and the coconut flour until smooth. Slowly add to the broccoli mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in the remaining 1 3/4 cups coconut milk and the thyme. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until thickened.
Recipe Source: Wheat Belly Cookbook by William Davis