Who doesn’t like brownies? These are vegan friendly and can be adapted to suit what you have available or what you like best.
Yield: Makes 16 brownies.
- 1/3 cup melted ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup cocoa or carob powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 small ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/3 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, coconut, carob chips or walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 8-inch square pan.
- In large bowl, beat all ingredients with fork until smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into squares when cool.
Variation: For gluten-free brownies, replace spelt flour with 1 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup amaranth flour and 1 tsp arrowroot flour.
Recipe Source: Thirteen Moons by Louis Racine